“Liberty Counsel” – Liberty for a select few theocrats ONLY!
(The following commentary is part of a weekly series called “Yahweh Speaks” by Yahweh. Yahweh is an assumed name to protect his identity on-line. He is a noted free thought advocate and Constitutional attorney. His series airs on my American Heathen® internet radio show. Airdate 05/12/12)
The Liberty Counsel, a rabid rightwing religious 501(c) 3 Non Profit, has promulgated its own “Declaration of American Values” , which would amend or supplant the Declaration of Independence and/or Constitution:
This “Declaration of American Values” proclaims:
“We the people of the United States of America, at this crucial time in history, do hereby affirm the core consensus values which form the basis of America’s greatness, that all men and women from every race and ethnicity are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We adhere to the rule of law embodied in the Constitution of the United States and to the principles of liberty on which America was founded. In order to maintain the blessings of liberty and justice for ourselves and our posterity, and recognizing that personal responsibility is the basis of our self-governing Nation, we declare our allegiance –
1. To secure the sanctity of human life by affirming the dignity of and right to life for the disabled, the ill, the aged, the poor, the disadvantaged, and for the unborn from the moment of conception. Every person is made in the image of God, and it is the responsibility and duty of all individuals and communities of faith to extend the hand of loving compassion to care for those in poverty and distress.
2. To secure our national interest in the institution of marriage and family by embracing the union of one man and one woman as the sole form of legitimate marriage and the proper basis of family.
3. To secure the fundamental rights of parents to the care, custody, and control of their children regarding their upbringing and education.
4. To secure the free exercise of religion for all people, including the freedom to acknowledge God through our public institutions and other modes of public expression and the freedom of religious conscience without coercion by penalty or force of law.
5. To secure the moral dignity of each person, acknowledging that obscenity, pornography, and indecency debase our communities, harm our families, and undermine morality and respect. Therefore, we promote enactment and enforcement of laws to protect decency and traditional morality.” …
To more fully understand the purpose of the Liberty Counsel and its New Declaration one must only read its ” Xtian Doctrinal Statement” from its webpage:
“1. There is one God, infinite Spirit, creator, and sustainer of all things, who exists eternally in three persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These three are one in essence but distinct in person and function. Jesus was conceived by the virgin Mary through a miracle of the Holy Spirit. He lives forever as perfect God and perfect man: two distinct natures inseparably united in one person.
2. All things were created by God. Angels were created as ministering agents, though some, under the leadership of Satan, fell from their sinless state to become agents of evil. The universe was created in six historical days and is continuously sustained by God; thus it both reflects His glory and reveals His truth. Human beings were directly created, not evolved, in the very image of God. As reasoning moral agents, they are responsible under God for understanding and governing themselves and the world.
3. The Bible, both Old and New Testaments, though written by men, was supernaturally inspired by God so that all its words are the written true revelation of God; it is therefore inerrant in the originals and authoritative in all matters. It is to be understood by all through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, its meaning determined by the historical, grammatical, and literary use of the author’s language, comparing Scripture with Scripture.
…6. Each person can be saved only through the work of Jesus Christ, through repentance of sin and by faith alone in Him as Savior…
… 8. The church is an assembly of believers, under the discipline of the Word of God and the lordship of Christ, organized to carry out the commission to evangelize, to teach, and to administer the ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s table. It functions through the ministry of gifts given by the Holy Spirit to each believer.”
This Doctrinal Statement drones on and on.
So, when clueless, uninformed or purposely obtuse persons tell you there is no effort, no movement, no organization actively attempting to install, or to complete its installation of, a xtian theocracy in America, simply say, “OH Really O’Reilly? what about the Liberty Counsel, the Family Research Council, Glen Beck, Ralph Reed, Faith and Freedom Conference, National Day of Prayer, the Thomas More Law Center, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, the numerous efforts to have “one man one woman” as the ONLY legally recognized “marriage”,and ALL the myriad efforts at state and local levels to install decalogues, prayer in public schools, prayer at Graduations and prayers at America’s TRUE religion, High School Football Games?
Remind them also that the The Framers of the Constitution “knew, that bigotry was unceasingly vigilant in its stratagems, to secure to itself an exclusive ascendancy over the human mind; and that intolerance was ever ready to arm itself with all the terrors of the civil power to exterminate those, who doubted its dogmas, or resisted its infallibility.” Joseph Story, “Commentaries on the Constitution”
Finally, we, the Lovers of Liberty and of ACTUAL equality for all autonomous individuals, must,ourselves, be “unceasingly vigilant” to sniff out, point out and expose to the disinfectant of the sunlight of reason all those who would rob us of the cherished fundamental rights enshrined in the Constitution and supplant such with their own peculiar stripe of theocracy.
“But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”