Vacation is over and now I am back… hard at work preparing a new season of my American Heathen® radio show! And what a season it is going to be!
I’m currently working closely with my Producer/Publicist, Amber Harris and my new Production Assistant, Bryce Cleek on a whole host of new ideas for the show. I thought I’d give you a brief glimpse at what you can expect with the return of the show on Saturday, January 28th. First, you’ll notice that we are moving the show to Saturday nights. This should make it easier for folks to tune in. Plus, I don’t have to compete with “Real Time w/Bill Maher”. The truth is that I have to DVR his show when I do a Friday show, and I would much rather watch him LIVE than listen to myself babble for three hours! But, anyway… Same time for the show on Saturdays. 8ET, 7CT. Now, here’s a list of some of the new changes…
1) PODCASTS! Yep. I finally broke down and decided to offer podcasts of the show. BUT, there’s a caveat to that… I won’t make them available until the first Friday after the LIVE show. I have been reluctant to offer a podcast for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that I HAVE to edit out all the music breaks. The editing can be time-consuming. Second, I am a stickler for audio quality and the idea of re-sampling the show down to save file size goes against every fiber of my being. HOWEVER, by getting rid of the music breaks (which, btw needs to be done to remain legal in podcast land) I can feel comfortable with a voice sample rate of 64k. Thirdly, I don’t want to lose my LIVE audience by offering a podcast they can listen to whenever they want. I figure if I delay the release a week, most of my LIVE folks won’t abandon ship. (I hope) The show will continue to be simulcast LIVE and then replayed, in whole or in part from time to time, on FreethoughtRadio.com.
2) NEW FORMAT! Well, sort of. Let’s just say that there is a new method to my madness. More segments, more humor and satire, more focus and discussion on specific issues every show.
3) NEW CO-HOSTS! The same familiar folks will return though. I’m just adding to the pool of tremendous talent on the show. For starters, Reap Paden (The Angry Atheist) will be sitting in (from San Francisco) from time to time. Additional talent will be announced soon.
4) GREATLY ENHANCED CYBERSPACE PRESENCE! I’ve decided to turn up the volume on the show’s online activities. I’m an old fart, so grasping all the ins and outs of cyber-connectivity is not my forte. Fortunately, between Amber and Bryce, and my good friend over at FreethoughtRadio.com, Lauren Floyd, the show is going to have better net exposure. As of today, a new Facebook page is under construction. And, it is tied neatly to Twitter and this blog. It will also be tied to our show site at AmericanHeathen.net. I have also created a new AmericanHeathen® YouTube video site. More about that in a second. Interactive and interlinked. What happens here, there, or anywhere, will show up somewhere! Oh… also look for a facelift on AmericanHeathen.net. Lot’s of new graphics coming!
5) AMERICAN HEATHEN® YouTube CHANNEL! I’m going out on a limb here. I’m not exactly camera friendly. But, it is time to put my mug out there. So, every week or so I will offer up a 2-4 minute video commentary, separate from any show commentary. Something to tide folks over until the next show. My production assistant Bryce Cleek will be at the helm for editing, and you can bet that the production quality will be top notch! So, stay tuned! The first video will make it’s way to the channel in mid-December.
6) MERCHANDISE & SHOW GIVEAWAYS! This always seems to be an issue I keep coming back to. Folks want something for their time. At least, they wouldn’t mind supporting the show and the message. So, we will be putting together a merchandise page on AmericanHeathen.net and will also have a contest or two from time to time on the show. We have a few items on the agenda right now, but you’ll have to wait to find out more.
There’s a lot more in the works. I can’t tell you more because that would spoil the surprises! Let’s just say that next year’s AH Show will be nothing short of spectacular! A lot of terrific and talented people are working really hard to bring you the absolute best show possible. And we do it, not only for you, but for everyone who values Freedom and Liberty for All!